Saturday, April 23, 2011

What nobody told me about raising boys

Thus far in my mothering career, I have been blessed to have only boys. This has been rather a shock to me since I never saw myself as a boy mom. I dreamed for years about a daughter and felt sure that while I would have one boy at some point, girls would dominate my world. When I found out my first child was going to be a boy I went into a bit of a panic because I had no idea how to be a mom to boys. My mothering fantasies had always involved girls and so I was entering unknown territory and it terrified me. Mark told me I would learn as I went (and he was right), but I felt sure I would fail at being a mom to boys since I had no clue what to do with a boy baby. Although I still have dreams of having a daughter one day, I LOVE being a mom to two little boys. Along the way of mothering these two precious souls, I have learned a few things that I wish I had known about mothering boys. So in no particular order, the things nobody told me about raising boys.

1. There are only three basic styles of shirts for boys - t-shirts, button front, and polos.

2. Even if a boy has never seen a gun or heard of a gun, they will fashion anything into a weapon to point at others.

3. With boys, you will have more Lego's than you ever thought possible.

4. Said Lego's will frequently be scattered throughout the entire house, which you will step on and then curse.

5. Boys love to collect rocks and sticks. Random sticks and rocks will be found regularly in the laundry, bedrooms, and other obscure places in the house.

6. As a result of #5, you will regularly carry a small forest and/or rock garden out in your garbage.

7. Bugs are fascinating! So are snakes, lizards, frogs, and other creepy crawly creatures.

8. Wrestling is a daily occurrence and as a parent of boys, you must master various wrestling moves, throws, and holds to protect yourself.

9. Laying on your stomach is always an invitation for boys to jump on your back.

10. Your young sons legs will always be covered in a mass of scrapes, bruises, and scars.

11. The fascination with the male anatomy starts very young and never ends.

12. There is no such thing as too dirty.

13. Boys will be on the go from the moment they wake up until the moment they collapse in bed. Their energy is boundless!

14. The ability to pee anywhere at any time is incredibly entertaining. You do not know how many times you will tell your sons, "We don't pee there!"

15. Farts and burps are always funny.

16. They can never have too many balls or cars.

17. Boys can wear through a pair of shoes/socks/pants faster than you can buy them.

18. Why walk when you can run? Why walk down the stairs when you can slide on your butt?

19. Water is always meant to be splashed in, especially if it is muddy.

20. Boys love to create and build. Anything can turn into an object to build with.

21. Everything is a contest to win.

22. There is no such thing as too loud.

23. You will be the queen of the castle! Hugs, kisses, and compliments abound with two little boys who think their mother rules the world.

24. The responsibility of raising strong, faithful, hard working, and loving boys will weight daily on your shoulders. You will always wonder if you are doing all you can to raise the kind of men you want in the world.

25. You will love your boys more than you ever thought possible. You will thank God every day that those precious souls were sent to you.

2 comments:

  1. This is perfect! And I second every one of your statements as continuing to adulthood. Haha.

    ReplyDelete