Friday, March 18, 2011

Cast of Characters - Me and the hats I wear

Like so many of us, throughout the day I wear many hats. I change from one hat to another in mere seconds. Those hats define who I am in so many ways. Today I am going to highlight the hats I wear the most often.

Mother - Being a mother is the most important hat I wear. I am truly blessed to be a mother. Both of my children came to me after years of infertility. Because of that, I try to never take for granted the privilege of being a mother. If I fail in this job, then I fail in life. I can do no greater work that in my home. Even though I am not a stay at home mom, being a mom defines me more than almost anything else. I love the time I have with my boys. I am working very hard on savoring every minute I get to spend with these remarkable creatures.

Teacher - I am in my 13th year of teaching 8th grade English. I absolutely love what I do. Junior high kids, with all their challenges and frustrations, are fascinatingly brilliant, beautiful people. I enjoy being with them and teaching them on a daily basis. In addition to wearing the hat of teacher, I also wear the hat of mentor as I mentor teachers new to the profession, as well as the hat of being the head of the English department at my school. This means I am usually very busy at school with all the responsibilities, but I like wearing those hats.

Student - Last spring, after receiving an email about online master's programs, I decided to go back to school to get my master's degree. This is something that I have always wanted to pursue, but the cost and time have held me back. When I discovered I could get my master's degree completely online, for much less than the local college, and be done in 18 months, I jumped at the chance to do it. I am now three classes away from being done and will have a master's degree in Educational Theory and Practice by the end of July. What does this degree mean? Not much really except that I get a nice pay raise as a result of having it. I have loved wearing the hat of student. The classes I have taken have revolutionized my teaching. I have learned so many new things in the past year and my students benefit from that. I feel I am a better teacher than I have ever been, trying new ideas and techniques in my classroom on a regular basis. I recently applied to start an online gifted endorsement once I finish this degree. I really want to learn more about helping the gifted learners in my classroom.

Reader- I still love to read voraciously. I love sharing what I read with others. I am hoping in the near future to start a blog about the books I read, but we'll see when/if that happens. This is one of my more enjoyable hats to wear.

Couponer/Saver - In the past year I have discovered the joy and fun in using coupons and saving money. I have always tried to look for a deal, but couponing has opened my eyes to a whole new way to do so. I have had a ton of fun seeking out the best deals and finding the coupons to go with it. My food storage has grown by leaps and bounds by wearing this hat.

Survivor - I have learned I am tough. The past 18 months have shown me that I can survive hard times. Not only can I survive, I can grow and thrive. I am more confident in who I am as a result.

Sister, wife, friend, daughter, chef, maid, chauffeur, cheerleader, coach, comforter - those are just some of the many hats I wear. It's sometimes a crazy life juggling all these hats, but it's my life and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment