Friday, March 18, 2011

Cast of Characters - The hubster

My husband is the wonderful man I have been married to for the past 10.75 years. We have certainly had our ups and downs, but I am definitely blessed in the husband department. With all that happened in the 18 months, I don't think anybody was harder hit that Mark. He took a major beating and was knocked down completely, but he has grown tremendously in so many ways.

The biggest change for Mark is a change in jobs. Last April, he lost the job he had been working for the past ten years. This was a huge blow to his self esteem. Although he found a new job right away, it was not something he loved and it definitely would not work with his schooling, my job, or child care. We knew it would work temporarily, but needed something new before school started for me again. It was a long search, but in August he found a job he just loves. Mark now works at the local youth detention center. It has been the best move and change for him. He is so happy and fulfilled in his work there. I have never seen him so happy at a job as he is at this one. His hours can be wild (lots of evenings and some over nights), but I don't care as long as he is happy with what he does. This job has been a tremendous blessing to our family. I love that my husband finally has a job he loves as much as I love mine.
Mark is still going to school. It has been a long, hard struggle for him. When he lost his job, he went to visit with the local vocational rehab office. They did some tests and diagnosed him with ADHD. Because of this diagnosis, he qualifies for grants that pay for all his schooling. This has been another huge blessing for our family. The program requires that he maintain a certain GPA in order to keep getting the funds. Because of that, he is working his tail off in all his classes and should be done in another year. I am so proud of how hard he is working to get that degree.

Mark continues to be the main stay at home parent during the days. His mother fills in for us on the days we both have to work. I am so glad my children get that time with him. I know it is not traditional, but it works for us and our family. Mark is a GREAT father and my kids are blessed to be able to get that extra time with him. He has a relationship with his children that few fathers get to have as a result.

Mark is a wonderful husband. He supports me in everything that I do. He is there for me and the kids. He helps around the house and helps with the boys. We love to laugh together and he gets me in ways that almost nobody else does. I am truly blessed to have him in my life!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love Mark. He's always had my utmost respect and admiration.

    Tell him hello from me.

    ReplyDelete